Nathan and I carried on a family tradition that we always did when I was growing up. Watermelon! My dad brought this to us last weekend when he and my mom came to celebrate my birthday and Father's Day. So last week one evening Nathan and I cut it open and just ate straight out of the middle of the melon. This is the only way we eat watermelon at my parents. This tradition was started many years ago when my dad was a boy. His parents ran a grocery store out of the front room of their house while he was growing up in east Texas. So on hot summer days my Me-maw would bring a watermelon out under the shade tree and cut it open where they would just dig in. Most with spoons, but she always just used the knife that she cut the watermelon open with. This is how my dad grew to love watermelon and Nathan seems to be following in his footsteps.

5 comments:
Funny you mention your Dad loving watermelon because Anthony and I were just talking about that earlier today. I had a great piece of watermelon last night at dinner and I was telling him about it. Then he mentioned your dad and how much he loves it. A few years ago when your parents drove to Niagara Falls to meet up with us they brought Texas watermelon and we had a big party in the Grana's backyard! I'll always remember that, and that is so fun to carry on such a neat tradition with your own kiddos.
I eat watermellon the same way. Of course I do cut it up sometimes so others can have some too, but straight out of the middle is my favorite.
I just now saw that you had more new posts below the tagged one. It would have been just tragic if I had missed the watermelon.
My question is did you really eat it like Dad with salt and all? Remember me and him would eat one side with salt and you and mom would eat the other side with no salt.
Thanks for the sweet memory. I think I need to go get some watermelon.
Yes, I really do like it better with salt now!
What a great story! I'm going to have to try eating my watermelon like that. It seems A LOT easier than eating it from the core and getting sticky watermelon juice all over my face!!
Post a Comment